Renowned for producing some of the finest wines from Portugal’s Douro Valley, W & J Graham’s was established in 1820 by brothers William and John Graham of Scotland. In the late 19th century, the company invested in its own vineyards, becoming one of the first Port producers to do so. Acquisitions included the famed Quinta dos Malvedos estate - home to the Upper Douro’s finest vineyards and the source of some of the greatest Ports ever made.
Graham’s is today owned by the Port-producing Symington family who acquired it in 1970. Of Scottish, English and Portuguese descent, the Symingtons have been Port producers in northern Portugal for five generations and are the leading vineyard owners in the Douro Valley, with 26 Quintas covering 5,527 acres and 2,530 acres of vineyard. Their vineyards are managed under sustainable viticulture practices and some are organically farmed. Graham’s first harvest under the ownership of the Symington family was the acclaimed Graham’s 1970 Vintage Port, thought by many to be one of the greatest wines of the 20th century.
With a deep commitment to the region’s land and people, Graham’s remains at the forefront of innovation in winemaking techniques. It’s imposing historic lodge, a working cellar dating from 1890, was recently renovated by the Symington family and is now one of the leading tourist attractions in Oporto. The building houses thousands of barrels and countless large oak vats of ageing Port, as well as an extensive cellar of Vintage Port, ageing in bottle.