San Filippo is situated in the heart of the Tuscan countryside where the very best Brunello is produced, two kilometres east of the hilltop town in Montalcino.
Founded in 1972, San Filippo faces the famed Biondi Santi’s Il Greppo vineyard and comprises a small hamlet, with an old farmhouse and chapel dating to 1672. It is owned by Robert Giannelli, who has completely restored and renovated the entire 22-hectarce estate. 11 hectares are under vine on four vineyards, primarily in Sangiovese but with some parcels of Merlot and Syrah also. All the vineyards have exceptional exposure, and excellent diurnal temperature variation make the land especially well-suited for taming the vigorous Sangiovese vines. Organic farming is practiced.
Produced in limited quantities, San Filippo makes three tiers or Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, a little Rosso di Montalcino DOC, and some Sant’Antimo Rosso DOC, all with fruit sourced entirely from the four estate vineyards. The wines are elegant, age-worthy, and very well-structured, with superb balance, finesse and complex minerality.